Translate

Monday, May 21, 2012

Ditch My Old Yoga Mat? Who knew?

As I enter into my yoga studio, I feel a sense of surrender and calmness almost immediately. I don't know what it is, but I leave all negative energy that haunts my thoughts in life outside and I'm able to focus on nothing else but myself at this moment.
I sign in, take off my shoes, and find a spot in the studio to set myself up. My teacher usually does a good 20 minutes of warming us up before we get into the poses. First couple of poses I'm feeling good and able to achieve good posture in every pose. Quickly after I'm starting to feel my body sweat, but I'm still able to keep focus and concentrate on my breathing, which takes me right into the next pose. Oh no, she just told us to get into the dreadful downward dog position. My hands are actually sliding forward as if I'm going to do a belly flop right onto the mat! I had to wipe my hands a couple of times to continue into the pose. Now she wants us to stay in this position and hold one leg up towards the ceiling and then do the same with our other leg?...oh, I dont think so!!!!! I'm slipping and sliding all over my mat by now.
It never occurred to me that I needed to replace my old yoga mat and get a new NON STICK one. For months I've been getting upset thinking I wasn't physically strong enough for some poses, not even thinking that maybe it could be the mat. Immediately after purchasing my new beautiful mat I was able to hold poses, and found that I had even more energy towards the end of classes. Who new that old mats were not only smelly and slippery, but exhausting too??!!
I also found a site that had a natural mat cleaning solution that you can make at home....
Homemade Yoga Mat Cleaner Recipe
1/2 cup witch hazel
1/2 cup distilled water
40 drops tea tree oil
Essential oil of your choice (optional)
Add all the ingredients to a clean spray bottle and shake gently to combine. To use, just lay your mat out or hang it up and spray liberally all over the surface. Let it sit for a couple minutes and then wipe off with a wet towel. Let your mat air dry and you’re good to go!
http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2011/08/homemade-yoga-mat-cleaner-recipe/




No comments: