Translate

Thursday, December 18, 2014

There's A Lady I See Every Week, and I Think She Has Dystonia



 When I was first diagnosed with Dystonia, I was determined to run every doctors, surgeons, chiropractors, acupuncturist, and physical therapy office and tell them what Dystonia is and how they can look for signs in order to diagnose the next person who complains to them about their uncontrollable spasms. As time went by, I created this blog in order to help others with Dystonia know and feel like they're not alone. I also offer life coaching for anyone with Dystonia or other medical conditions, with hopes that I can shed light into any dark areas of what they are emotionally, physically, and mentally going through. At this moment, I can honestly say that I have become completely quiet to the one person that may need to hear what I have to say, and I don't know why I'm so afraid to approach her.

Every week I see the same woman working at the local food market by our house. Her neck is twisted to one side, and she noticeably has uncontrollable spasms in her neck, jaw, and shoulders. My heart goes out to her, and I can feel my own neck and shoulder muscles begin to spasm, just by looking at her and wondering what kind of pain she must be feeling. My mind goes crazy, thinking of how I'm going to approach her and ask if she suffers from Dystonia. If she does have Dystonia, I want to share my story and tell her about the Botox treatments I receive, and how much they've helped me live a "normal" life again. As I gather my bags at the register and walk passed her, we smile at one another and I'm out the door.

What am I so afraid of? As I've gotten older, I've noticed that there are a lot of people who are private and may think that I'm being rude to call them out on something when I don't really know them that well to do so. I, on the other hand, would have LOVED to have had someone come up to me and ask me if I had ever seen a neurologist about the twisting and pain they see me in with my neck, because I may be a disease called Dystonia!!!!  However, I'm not this woman, and I don't know how she will act. So, every week I give her my big smile and walk out to my car. She's always catching me peeking over to her and smiling, I bet she thinks I'm weird! lol  All I know is that this is an older women, who looks like she's in pain and my heart bleeds every time I see her.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can approach her, I will welcome them all!

Thanks for your time.

No comments: