Translate

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dr. Schwartz...My New Friend For Life

I was so anxious to meet Dr. Schwartz.  Both my husband and I had so many questions for him, and didn't know which to ask first.  He explained to us what Dystonia was, the different things that may have caused it, what treatments are out there, and how it's going to effect the rest of my life.  The bad news was that it's a disease and it's never going away, the good news was that with treatment, yoga, and meditation I could live the rest of my life comfortably.


After agreeing that Botox would be the best treatment to start with, he started the injections right there in his office.  He first had me do a couple of physical moves with my arms and my head so he could see the way my muscles were pulling, and he would know where to put the injections. My husband held my hair up the whole time, while Dr. Schwartz put 16 injections of Botox in my neck, upper shoulders and shoulder blades.  Since my muscles were so "active", the pain felt like someone was taking a lighted matchstick and putting it out on my skin.  I was told that as time goes by my muscles would start to relax and actually shrink after time, which would help with release some of the spasms.

The whole visit was over an hour, but the treatment was over in less then 10 minutes.  I can't say enough good things about Dr. Schwartz.  He was very professional and took his time answering any questions or concerns that we both had.  His sense of calmness relaxed us and we never felt rushed or as if we were just "another patient" of his.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was already looking forward to my next appointment.  I guess I knew in my heart that this treatment was going to work for me.

No comments: